The Nurse Practitioner provide consultation in hospice or palliative care, symptom management and supportive care to meet patient needs in collaboration with referring physician, attending physician, hospice physician and the interdisciplinary care planning team.
- Facilitate clarification of patient and family goals of care and access to appropriate support models of care (i.e., hospice, rehabilitation, on-going aggressive treatment).
- Assist with diagnosis, treatment and management of acute and chronic health conditions.
- Educate facility staff, co-workers and the community on all aspects of hospice care and the services provided by VITAS.
- Attend and participate in internal VITAS interdisciplinary care plan meetings.
- Consult with referring physician, interdisciplinary care team and other involved providers to contribute to the patient’s plan of care.
- Prepare and maintain accurate patient records, charts and documents to support the hospice practice and reimbursement for services provided.
- After collaboration with hospice and referring physicians, order diagnostics/treatments as needed and prescribe medications including controlled substances, to the extent delegated and licensed. Interpret, evaluate and communicate diagnostic findings to the appropriate parties.
- Assist in development of clinical practice guidelines and standards in support of quality hospice care as requested by supervisor.