Diesel Mechanic Wanted
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION: Travel Stop Diesel Mechanic’s help run our business by providing light diesel mechanic repairs, invoicing and processing payment for repairs, keeping the facilities and equipment in good working order and the total location looking and running well for customers.
JOB SUMMARY: A Travel Stop Diesel Mechanic will perform various light diesel mechanical repairs, daily housekeeping tasks around the location such as clearing the outside parking lots, cleaning the shower and restroom areas, and other tasks as assigned. This position will also perform preventative maintenance on the facility and its parts, such as replacing air filters, light bulbs, etc., to ensure everything is in proper working condition. Additionally, this position will perform other tasks required to help ensure the facility’s compliance with Environmental Protection Association (EPA) regulations.
- Greet customers as you see them, speak politely, and assist customers as needed
- Perform diesel mechanical repairs for customers operating class 7 and 8 vehicles using self-owned tools
- Accurately invoicing and processing payment for services performed
- Operate a company vehicle to perform roadside mechanical repairs
- Remove and re-line trash cans on property
- Clean outdoor gas and diesel islands including the equipment
- Perform basic equipment repairs
- Keep the tire shop area clean, organized, and secure
- Update HAZCOM Manual and Safety Data sheets
- Maintain personal grooming standards
- Maintain a safe facility and use safety first practices to remain accident-free
- Other duties as assigned by your manager
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS AND REQUIRMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- 1-2 Years’ experience in class 7 and 8 truck/trailer repairs
- DOT Certified or willing and able to be certified within the first 30 days of employment
- Must own set of hand tools regularly used in basic light mechanical diesel repairs
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Hard Skills: Ability to learn and perform light mechanical diesel repairs, basic housekeeping tasks, repair and maintenance procedures, knowledge of electrical breakers, scissor lift operation, and safety glasses/vest usage.
- Soft Skills: Good verbal and written communication skills, time management skills, organization skills, can-do attitude, sense of urgency, and strong work ethic
- Regularly required to talk and hear at a normal range
- Very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. Frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor elements in all seasons. Occasionally, the employee will also be exposed to fumes and particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and can be loud at times. While performing the duties, the employee is frequently exposed to dirt, dust, grime, grease, oil, gas, high-concentrated cleaning solutions, and human waste.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: No travel is expected for this position.
EEO STATEMENT: Love’s Travel Stops Inc. and Its Affiliates provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training